A look at the ghosts of Mount Beacon, a mountain named for its role in the Revolutionary War, which once housed a hotel and tourist attractions, and now is a beautiful, ruin-filled place to hike.
The town of Beacon lies about an hour and a half from Manhattan by commuter train. The area, which once brimmed with factories, is now a quiet, small town, full of crumbling ruins of its past, spooky cemeteries, and deep woods.
This episode focused on Mount Beacon: its history, the reminders it holds of the past, and a experiment to test out a solo version of the Estes method, a popular paranormal investigation technique, on the mountain’s peak.
• The remains of a mountaintop train, hotel, and casino
• Wild speculation about some Estes session results
• Some of Beacon’s history
Note: the Estes session contains some brief expletives.
Transcript of solo Estes session
For the full context of the session, listen to the episode.
Do you have a message for me?
Again [or “Beacon”]
Where do you work?
They [or “they are”]
Do you ever have dreams in which you die?
[wasn’t hearing much, switched the headphone from being plugged into the spout to the headphone jack, clarified that I wanted to speak to nearby spirits or entities]
Are my [or “oh my”]
Did you ever live through a pandemic? What was that like?
DO you wish I would try to communicate with you another way? If so, how?
Is there anything you want to tell me?
Am [or “and”]
I [or “hi”]
Valiant [or maybe “valley”]
And [or “Annie”]
Is there something you think I should do, or that you want me to do?
Do you usually go here
10 in the morning
[changed sweep rate to 150 ms]
Augment [or “mountain”]
Where were you born?
What [or “I”]
Crash [or “trash” or “craft”]
More to come [or “motorcycle”]
Eats [or “Keats”]
How you doin’
What is your location?
How are you
Need [or “wanted”]
How do you feel at this moment?
Yeah [or “Yeats”]
Federal Hall [or “alcohol”]
Snake [or “think”]
If you are dead, how did you die? And who was responsible for your death?
Out back all day
Do you have a favorite possession?
Where [or “wear’]
Water [or “at water”]
What do you think of me?
It’s here [or maybe “Jen’s here”]
Cruel [or “cruel lake”]
It’s just [or “at dusk”]
If you were once human, what was your occupation?
So [or “someone”]
Do you want to hurt anyone?
David [that was whispered]
Enjoy [or “join us”]
I don’t kick
If you once lived, did you die from illness?
There’s no conference [or “there’s no coffin” or “there’s no coffee”]
Trio [or “freedom”]
You need this
How many of us are there?
You missed it
A leaf [or “I lead”]
I want it
Your hat [I wasn’t wearing my hat, but it was sitting next to me]
Do you ever feel trapped, or confused, or lost?
Hey [spoken while q was being asked]
Driftwood [or “stretch goal”]
How many entities are speaking to me right now?
Need a break
Are you lost?
Is it the same I know
Check this out
You’re gonna miss me
Why are you here?
Why [or “choir”]
[started to end session, then got one more response:]
Sources consulted RE: Ghosts of Mount Beacon
Videos consulted RE: Ghosts of Mount Beacon
- 1957 home video of the Mount Beacon Incline Railway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmnqR7SEzoM
- 1902 video of Mt Beacon Incline Railway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLYS838WTAs
- 1946 video of Mt Beacon Incline Railway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muPQze1x6kE
- 1974 video of Mt Beacon Incline Railway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cLmMl1DG0I
Websites consulted RE: Ghosts of Mount Beacon
Don’t miss past episodes:
- Sunken Treasure at Hell Gate, New York City
- The General Slocum Disaster, Hell Gate, New York City
- The Haunted Hell Gate, New York City
- Calvary Cemetery, Queens, New York (Part 1)
- Hidden Cemeteries in Astoria, Queens, NYC
- Tombstones Around Socrates Sculpture Park, Astoria, NYC
- Lent-Riker-Smith Homestead and Cemetery: Part 1 (Hidden Cemeteries)
- Moore-Jackson Cemetery (Hidden Cemeteries)