Ouija after World War I: We tried talking about 1920s Ouijamania but there was too much good stuff in the late 19teens.
• Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini playing with a Ouija board in an Atlantic City hotel room
• The pope hiring a former psychical researcher to denounce Ouija
• Possible connections between remote viewing and successful Ouija board use
• The solar plexus chakra and ouija
• Racism in 1920s America
You can listen to more audio on our patreon ($3/month): https://www.patreon.com/buriedsecrets
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sources consulted in researched Ouija after World War I
Websites consulted about Ouija after World War I
Historical articles and advertisements consulted about Ouija after World War I
- “Dementia Ouija.” The Fort Wayne Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Indiana) · Thu, Oct 14, 1920 · Page 4
- “War Will End in Jan. 1919, Says the Ouija Board.” The Weekly Tribune (Cape Girardeau, Missouri) · Fri, Nov 23, 1917 · Page 6
- The Salina Evening Journal (Salina, Kansas) · Fri, Aug 18, 1916
- “Can The Dead Talk To Us?” The San Francisco Examiner, Sun, May 26, 1918
- “Are You Superstitious?” El Paso Herald (El Paso, Texas) · Sat, May 31, 1919 · Page 6
- “Letter To The Editor: The Ouija Board.” The Ottawa Citizen, Wed, Jan 22, 1919
- TR Sends A Message Via The Ouija Board. The Wichita Daily Eagle. Sun, Mar 23, 1919.
- Oh Look What TR Said Ouija Board. Evansville Press. Mon, Apr 14, 1919.
- “Ouija Board Devilry.” The Tablet (Brooklyn, New York) · Sat, Dec 13, 1919 · Page 7
- “Among Us Mortals.” Dayton Daily News (Dayton, Ohio) · Sun, Feb 15, 1920 · Page 23
- “Haskin’s Daily Letter: An Interview With Ouija.” The Wilmington Morning Star (Wilmington, North Carolina) · Thu, Feb 26, 1920 · Page 4
Books consulted about Ouija after World War I
- The Worlds and I by Ella Wheeler Wilcox: https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Worlds_and_I.html?id=BBJIU0v_gyUC
- The new black magic and the truth about the ouija-board by J. Godfrey Raupert: https://archive.org/details/newblackmagictru00raup/page/214/mode/2up
- The Reality of ESP: A Physicist’s Proof of Psychic Abilities by Russell Targ
- THE PROBLEMS OF PSYCHICAL RESEARCH by Hereward Carrington (1921) : https://www.gutenberg.org/files/23660/23660-h/23660-h.htm#Page_247
- Raymond, or Life After Death:
- Wilmington’s Lie by David Zucchino
Check out the shownotes for the rest of the series to see all of the sources used.
Listen to the rest of the Ouija board series:
- Ouija Boards Part 1 – Planchette and Automatic Writing
- Helen Peters and Ouida / Invention (Ouija Boards Part 2)
- William Fuld (Ouija Boards Part 3)
- 19th Century Ouija Board Stories / Early Ouijamania (Ouija Boards Part 4)
- Victorian Egyptomania (Ouija Boards Part 5)
Don’t miss our past episodes:
- The Renwick Ruin:
- Playing the Ghost in 19th Century Australia
- Investigating the Hawthorne Hotel: