A look at the strange history of the haunted Grove Park Inn, and the famous people (and ghost) who’ve stayed there.
Built by a quinine medicine mogul based on plans drawn up by his son-in-law (who was not an architect), the Grove Park Inn is has hosted many famous guests. F. Scott Fitzgerald lived there for two years, 10 presidents have stayed there, as did Thomas Edison and John D. Rockefeller. And then there’s the Pink Lady, a mysterious female ghost who employees and guests have reported encountering.
• F. Scott Fitzgerald’s “beer cure”
• The Pink Lady ghost
• A scenic mountaintop grave
• A terrifying advertisement for quinine
• Zelda Fitzgerald’s last years and tragic death
• The US Supreme Court’s nuclear war plans
• Staying at an isolated cabin in the woods
• A place called “Bat Cave”
• Workers living in circus tents
Note: there are several mentions of suicide/attempted suicide throughout the episode, as well as details about dying in a fire.
You can listen to more audio on our patreon ($3/month): https://www.patreon.com/buriedsecrets
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sources consulted RE: the Haunted Grove Park Inn
Websites RE: the Haunted Grove Park Inn
Listen to the Ouija board series:
- Ouija Boards Part 1 – Planchette and Automatic Writing
- Helen Peters and Ouida / Invention (Ouija Boards Part 2)
- William Fuld (Ouija Boards Part 3)
- 19th Century Ouija Board Stories / Early Ouijamania (Ouija Boards Part 4)
- Victorian Egyptomania (Ouija Boards Part 5)
- Ouija after World War I (Ouija Boards Part 6)
- 1920s Ouijamania (Ouija Boards Part 7)
- More 1920s Ouija Board Stories (Ouija Boards Part 8)
- Kill Daddy: The Turley Ouija Board Murder (Ouija Boards Part 9)
Don’t miss our past episodes:
- The Renwick Ruin:
- Playing the Ghost in 19th Century Australia
- Investigating the Hawthorne Hotel:
- Quinta da Regaleira Symbolism: The Occult Mysteries of a Portugese Palace and Garden
- Thomas Edison’s Spirit Telegraph
- The Cult of Santa Muerte, aka Saint Death